Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Food&Friends

In the past couple of months I've been thinking a lot about how our culture approaches food gathering and sharing. How is it that I can go to the grocery store, do all of my shopping, check out, and return home without ever talking to a single person? This bothers me. The amount of social interaction and sense of community we feel is in direct correlation with our perceived level of happiness. (Eric Weiner, an NPR journalist, talks about this in his book, Geography of Bliss. Check it out - an easy, interesting read.)

I want to know where my food comes from and I want to share my food with others.

So, check out this website I made for class to address this issue: Food&Friends, a resource for the individual interested in alternative methods of food gathering and sharing.

Grab some friends and get yer potluck on!

2 comments:

  1. I really like the color scheme and overall look of your website. I never thought about how many activities we do alone and reading this blog post, along with your website has made me think how true this is, the connection between real interactions with people and happiness.

    In reply: Here are steps to get the 'word'/'Labels' widget or whatever you want to call it.
    1. Go to your Blogger home.
    2. Click on design.
    3. Go to your sidebar and click on 'Add Widget'.
    4. Scroll down on the list of options until you see 'Labels'.
    5. The option I have now is displayed as 'Cloud', but you can choose your own setting. You can also rename 'Labels' to 'Word' or your own choice of title.
    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your website is great! I remember talking about this with you. You executed it really well. I love the idea of pot-lucks. I also have gone dumpster diving, I hate it when people take a ton of stuff though! I mean homeless people need it more than college kids I hear taking bags of bread. Anyways, good color scheme too.

    ReplyDelete