Friday, April 22, 2011

Wasteland

Until last week there were only 2 movies that have made me cry - The Green Mile (who doesn't?) and P.S. I Love You (ok, don't tell me Gerard only being in the first 10 minutes doesn't tear you up inside).

So a third has been added.  WastelandMaybe it was the full moon, maybe it was the stress of finals week a-comin. But I don't think so. This is a powerful documentary. Vik Muniz is an incredible artist and through this project, an anthropologist, philanthropist, and social activist.

His idea was to change the lives of a group of people with the same materials they use in their lives everyday.

You need to see the full thing (instant view on Netflix!) - the trailer doesn't do it justice. But here it is .


WASTE LAND Official Trailer from Almega Projects on Vimeo.

"The moment when one thing turns into another thing is a beautiful moment. A combination of sounds transforms into music." - Vik Muniz

Here's the poster I made for a class in response to the film.  I arranged our glass bottles into a mosaic in my driveway and stood on the roof to take a picture. Can anyone guess what it's supposed to be? It's a bird in mid flight (inspired by this image).

3 comments:

  1. I am definitely making this on my list of movies to see this summer. The trailer makes me even teary. Your photography always moves me in a way that makes me want to get even more into knowing more about taking pictures. I don't want to guess wrong about your picture. What I see is bacteria and an emperor standing on top of waves. I hope you're not offended or anything! This is from someone who thought for years that the backcountry.com logo was a scary ski mask instead of a sheep. haha True story.

    p.s. Thank you for sending me that poster! haha Seriously made me laugh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job stimulating and participating in discussions as you've thoughtfully presented such a variety of topics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren - I meant to respond to this much earlier :) It's a bird! Flying from the left side of the frame, top wing and bottom wing, head and beak with something in it (i used a whole bunch of those purple flowers that popped up a couple of weeks ago). It's so interesting to hear what other people see in it!

    ReplyDelete